Umar Hassan is a data journalist, specialising in sport, technology, and motoring, and a current MA Data Journalism student at Birmingham City University.
After doing his first degree at the university in BA (Hons) – Media and Communication (Journalism) in July 2017, Umar has been published in publications such as HuffPost UK, DatacenterDynamics, Journo Resources, and others.
When it comes to a new beat, Umar is able to quickly learn and write about anything, whether that’s Gaelic games to motorsport. He enjoys the challenge of writing about complex subjects, and issues, and making it easy to understand for audiences who are new to that subject or issue.
He has also interviewed some of the biggest names in the world of sport, journalism, technology and politics, including Jim Rosenthal, Louise Goodman, Williams F1 Team, Petra Kvitova, Appian CEO Matt Calkins, Chris Dancy, Richard Burden MP and more.
When it comes to awards, Umar is no stranger to being recognised for his hard work. He has won a number of different awards which include:
- Engaged Student of the Year Finalist – 2015 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Media Person of the Year Winner – 2016 Team BCU Awards
- Student Representative of the Year – Runner-Up – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- The Team of the Year Winner with School of Media Level Up Mentors – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Vice Chancellor and Students’ Union President Award (Students) with School of Media Level Up Mentors – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
Outside of journalism, you will find Umar listening to Suede, & Thin Lizzy on repeat. Alongside his love of music, he is also a keen swimmer, and data visualisation fan who is learning D3, as well as using other tools such as Flourish, Tableau, and Datawrapper.