Once again, I have been very on and off with my Makeover Monday participation recently due to other commitments I have had to prioritise although I managed to squeeze in an evening for my Week 13 entry.
This week’s dataset looks at the UK’s favourite chocolate bars and although it is coming up to Easter. I cannot live, let alone function without having one bar of chocolate every week after I have finished a long Monday morning run.
Here is the original viz from the CDA, which is a bump chart so let’s see what works and what could be improved.
- Bump chart is clearly labelled and a good choice when visualising ranked data as it allows to easily see the age demographics.
- The chocolate bar brands on the left and right are an excellent reference point for users looking at the viz.
- Having a key that says “doesn’t rank” is very useful as it minimises the user from guessing which chocolate bar has not ranked on the viz.
What could be improved?
- There are too many colours at once on the bump chart as it could create challenges for colour blind users to look at the viz.
- Although the title suits the topic well, it could be better. Instead of “Top 10”, maybe come up with something such as “Work, Rest, Play: Mars is the most popular chocolate bar in the UK among all ages”.
What I did
- Produce a viz in under an hour as I am quite pressed for time at the moment due to other work commitments.
- I was inspired by Sarah Burnett’s viz using the gorilla, so it was a natural choice to go with Cadbury’s Dairy Milk.
- Keep the colour scheme simple and ensure that the colours reflect the style of the Dairy Milk packaging.
With that said, here is my Makeover Monday 2018 – Week 13 entry, focusing on Cadbury’s Dairy Milk being the third most favourite chocolate bar among the 18-24 demographic in the UK. You can also watch the advert, complete with Phil Collins’ In The Air Tonight in the viz by clicking on the picture below in Tableau Public.