Umar Hassan is a Digital and Data Journalist, who specialises in multimedia, political, technology and sports journalism.
A graduate from Birmingham City University in BA (Hons) – Media and Communication (Journalism) in July 2017, Umar has been published for national and international digital and print publications such as the Mirror Online, Express.co.uk, Birmingham Updates, theCheckeredFlag.co.uk, and more.
His experience also extends to broadcast media, working with Sky UK, ITV and most recently with HDY Agency, Computer Business Review, DESIblitz.com, BBC News Online, and public relations agency Kinetic Communications.
A member of The Bureau of Investigative Journalism’s “Bureau Local” network, Umar has recently worked on collaborative journalism projects relating to issues around voter power, council spending and council property. When it comes to a new patch, Umar is able to quickly learn and write about anything from Gaelic games to motorsport.
When it comes to awards, Umar is no stranger to being recognised for his hard work. He has won a number of different awards which include:
- Engaged Student of the Year Finalist – 2015 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Media Person of the Year Winner – 2016 Team BCU Awards
- Student Representative of the Year – Runner-Up – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- The Team of the Year Winner with School of Media Level Up Mentors – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Vice Chancellor and Students’ Union President Award (Students) with School of Media Level Up Mentors – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
Outside of journalism, you will find Umar listening to rock ‘n roll, running long distances, engaging in critical debate and follows motorsport, as well as other sports including rugby union and snooker obsessively.