Umar Hassan is a Media and Communication Graduate from Birmingham City University, who specialises in data, multimedia, political and sports journalism, as well as social media and analytics.
Umar is an Award-winning Freelance Journalist with over four years of experience writing for national and international online and print publications as a Reporter and Sub Editor in publications such as theCheckeredFlag.co.uk, The Scratch, NUBI Magazine, The Irish World, Birmingham Eastside and The Asian World.
Umar has also had experience of the broadcast news and television industry, working with Sky UK and ITV. These experiences have helped to shape the journalist and professional he is today whilst continuing to actively pursue new storytelling methods to enhance his journalism.
Umar is also the Founder of Disability Sports Data, a data journalism agency, aimed at supplying data visualisations for disability sport charities, teams and governing bodies. The agency is currently undergoing a rebrand at the moment.
Umar provides services to help media professionals understand about the importance of having data visualisation and analytics skills in this increasingly data-driven media industry in Tableau and R. You can check out Umar’s data visualisation portfolio on Tableau Public.
Umar has won numerous awards and honours during his three years at Birmingham City University. These awards and honours include:
- Engaged Student of the Year Finalist – 2015 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Media Person of the Year Winner – 2016 Team BCU Awards
- Student Representative of the Year – Runner Up – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Team of the Year Winner with School of Media Level Up Mentors – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Vice Chancellor and Students’ Union President Award (Students) with School of Media Level Up Mentors – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
Outside of journalism and the analytics sphere, you’ll find Umar listening to Suede, Thin Lizzy, The Killers, Noel Gallagher and Kylie Minogue. He’s also a keen long-distance runner and fitness fanatic, as well as being passionate about motorsport and rugby union. You will find that he never stops talking about Gran Turismo and racing video games.