I am a BA (Hons) Media and Communication Graduate from Birmingham City University, specialising in journalism. I am also the Founder for Disability Sports Data, which is a data journalism agency, aimed at supplying data visualisations for disability sport charities, teams and governing bodies. Although most of my work I have undertaken in my three years as a journalist has been based mostly around hyperlocal news, as well as sport, politics and data.
Currently, I’m exploring Tableau, Data Analysis, R and SQL as I’m developing a strong foundation of skills as my interest grows with the programming languages with time. My data dashboard designs are improving week-on-week, day-by-day. If you are interested in looking at my work in Tableau, check out my profile on Tableau Public.
I have also previously written for theCheckeredFlag.co.uk as their Rally Editor, NUBI Magazine and The Irish World, as well as being a former Sports Sub-Editor for The Scratch Magazine and Birmingham Eastside. Since I specialise in data journalism, I have also undertaken projects in photography, broadcast and in new media (website development), which complements my body of journalism work.
I am hugely interested in research about journalism studies, which I am currently developing at the minute to form a huge part of the work I produce alongside my journalism work. My areas of interest are in convergence culture and sport, particularly with minority sports such as motorsport series such as F1, British Touring Car Championship and MotoGP to name but a few series I cover in my research.
Also, I have won numerous awards and honours during my three years at Birmingham City University. These awards and honours include:
- Engaged Student of the Year Finalist – 2015 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Media Person of the Year Winner – 2016 Team BCU Awards
- Student Representative of the Year – Runner Up – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Team of the Year Winner with School of Media Level Up Mentors – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
- Vice Chancellor and Students’ Union President Award (Students) with School of Media Level Up Mentors – 2017 Birmingham City University Extra Mile Awards
Outside of my studies and journalism, you’ll find me listening to a lot of music from Suede, Thin Lizzy, The Killers, Noel Gallagher and more. I’m also a keen traveller, as well as a sport enthusiast who has a huge passion for motorsport and rugby union.